Background

18 December 2011

my new outlook & goals for 2012.

Since I announced I would be offering only Storytelling Sessions, I have felt more creative than ever. I feel such a relief to have told the world, "this is what I am passionate about, and for now, I want to do only this." Much credit must be given to my husband who supports us because without him, I would probably be working at Portrait Innovations as a salesperson and not creating art for families.


With regard to my new direction, I am obsessed with developing my style. I spend (too) many hours on Pinterest and following links to other photographers' sites. I lay in bed at night thinking about the way I look at ordinary objects and how I could photograph them differently. I have been issuing assignments to myself, challenging myself to go outside my comfort zone. Recently, I started taking photos of our city and selling them on Etsy as a side project. I am trying to train my eye to see beyond the obvious and find art in the everyday. You can visit my Etsy page here.


I am working on a list of goals for 2012. I think accountability is important for the growth of my business and myself. My friend, Cheyenne, does this on her blog regularly. She writes out her yearly and monthly (wow) goals and then tells how she did. 


Here's my list so far:


Goals for 2012:
1. Build a client appreciation for Storytelling Sessions for what they are - "Life as art"
2. Effectively educate my clients on the importance of making something of their images. A lot of hard work and love goes into every image I produce and, sadly, those images are probably still locked up on a disc in someone's kitchen junk drawer. It hurts my heart.
3. Regularly conduct in-home ordering sessions for albums, canvases and prints (this has been fun so far because the client can see and feel the products and understand just how small an 8 x 10 really is).
4. Be more assertive in all aspects of my life and don't let people take advantage.
5. Raise my prices. In 2011, I attended several workshops, did a lot of business and improved my skills. My snappin' fingers deserve a raise!
6. Become more productive. Some days I honestly waste valuable time just putting things off that I eventually have to do anyway (ie: the laundry).
7. Finish my new branding that I have been working on with the fabulous Erica of The Summerhouse.
8. Create more contacts. I have been better lately with simply introducing myself, handing out business cards and following up with people. Baby steps.
9. Blog more often (at least weekly) and post more personal (not too personal) things so that my clients can get to know me better.


That's a pretty good list, right? Not too ambitious or unattainable. Just right. I think I can do all of the above, don't you?


Thanks to everyone for supporting my growing business in 2011. Cheers to 2o12!





Since this is a photography blog, here's one for you of my two men (taken on iPhone).



No comments:

Post a Comment